Friday, August 1, 2008

Who are these kids??

I spent the last week in FL at a sales conference. I have been traveling a lot for work this year so I have been on numerous flights. Good stories always come out of flights. Well, the flight home yesterday was quite interesting and to be honest made me realize how good Victoria is and that I am really not that bad of a mom.
So I left Ft Laudersdale on my way to Phoenix but had a stop in New Orleans. Love Southwest, hate all the stops. My experience started in line to check my bag. A mom and daughter, probably between 8 and 10 (I am really bad at guessing ages) were in front of me. Well, this girl had unhooked one side of the strap of her bag and was dragging it...about 4 feel behind her. It was very obnoxious and the mother says nothing. Okay, whatever...no big deal. I check in and head to my plane. Now you need to note I had been gone since Sunday and was getting more and more anxious to get home. Well lucky me I am behind them once again in the security line. And now this girl is arguing with her mom about how sunburn she is (which she is not at all but whatever). Okay, just breathe and ignore...just try not to trip over this damn bag...I make it through security and yes, you are right, they are on my flight and in front of me in line. I mean really. So we walk down to the plane and I sit in the very first seat I can, row 3 window...not bad huh? Well these two idiots sit behind me. AHHH!!! I am exhausted and hoping to sleep a little but this girl will not shut up and she is loud. Oh and very obnoxious. Although I have been travellng a lot I still get nervous on the flights. This stupid kid starts talking about the plane crashing and will it float in the water (we are 100% over water which always makes me nervous). So I am trying to not think about it but this kid does not shut up. I have come to the realization I hate most all other kids. And this mom I wanted to slap. Maybe if you would spend a little less time putting all that makeup on the picking out clothes that are not even close to age appropriate you could spend some time with this keep and teach her how to behave. Well, good news was I was so tired I did fall asleep and when we landed in New Orleans they got off the plane.
I thought it couldn't get any worse than that. Boy was I wrong...they put 3 kids travelling alone in front of me on the flight to Phoenix. These kids were terrible! Throwing food, jumping around, it was so bad...at they were about 11. They should have known better! I know the parents were not there but have they not taught them anything??? And it was the whole 2 hour 50 min fight. They did not stop for 5 mins. I had to bite my tongue to not tell them they needed to knock it off.
So...I start to think of my last trip I took with Victoria...we went to Seattle to see my sis and fam. I had a terrible migraine headache, so bad I could not keep my eyes open. I put my hand on her leg and closed my eyes. My little angel just sat nicely and played. When I grabbed the barf bag (oh yes, it was quite a flight) she opened it and told me to throw up in there. I love her SO much...Yes, she has her moments when I want to leave her on someone elses doorstep (some of these stories are coming soon), but overall I am very lucky. She is a very good kid!
And then I started to think how less than Mrs. Cleaver I felt when I gave her a brownie for breakfast two weeks ago because all I wanted to do was get out of the house without a fight just one time. But I realized I am closer to the Mother of the Year award than I had previously thought. Victoria woulds never act like these kids. She knows that is not acceptable behavior. She knows her beloved princess ponies would be taken away faster than she could say princess pony.
So I guess even though I was on the verge of flipping out it was a good trip home. Despite the many stories to tell I have an awesome kid and I am not so bad either...

No comments: