Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bye Wrigley...


We made a very tough decision and had to give Wrigley up yesterday. About a month ago Stella just got fed up with all the humping and bothering and started to attack him. Since Stella was our dog first and a better fit for our family we gave up Wrigley. It was a very hard day and we were all pretty upset. To make matters worse we had a little drama, okay a lot of drama. Eddie did not want to drop him off so I asked my Mom to go with me. I drove up to Scottsdale, picked her up and we headed to the AZ Humane Society. I went to fill out the paper work and the lady informed me they were full and not taking any more animals. I got upset. Just earlier that morning Stella went after him and V was standing nearby. I did not want to take him home. I did not want to risk V or Wrigley getting hurt.

So my Mom called her vet and they gave her 4 numbers to shelters. They were all full. At this point I was losing it. I was so upset and the last lady that I talked to made things worse by telling me..."I feel sorry for you. That is a reallt bad situation. Either the dog or your daughter will end up getting hurt". I was thinking that but for someone else to say it out loud, I lost it. I was very clsoe to dropping him in the desert (I know...terrible...but I didn't know what to do. I was NOT going to risk my daughter over a dog!). Then my Mom says...what about Tucson? She was kinda half kidding but I immediately dialed the number. They were excepting dogs. Next thing I know we are drving down to Tucson to drop off Wrigley.

After a 2 1/2 road trip we got there. I must say I got a better feeling from it than I did from the Phoenix shelter. I filled out the paper work and said goodbye. I totally started to cry. It was really hard especially when I started to leave and he tried to follow me.

Although it has only been one day I know we made the right decision. It is so much calmer in our house and Stella is back to the sweet fun dog she was when we first got her. We took her to the dog park today and she had a blast.

We will miss Wrigley very much and he will always have a place in our hearts. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions that are better in the long run...

No comments: